Saturday, January 4, 2014

Why I Skip New Year's Resolutions...



... and choose a Word of the Year instead :)

We are a few days into 2014 and Blogland is booming with New Year's resolutions. Be more creative, read more books, go to the gym, learn how to cook, spend more time with family and friends, etcetera, etcetera. I love the symbolism of a new year: it feels like a fresh start. 

However, I started to resent New Year's resolutions the last couple of years. They didn't inspire me to do anything better or different at all, and usually I forgot about them within the first month. They were just specific little goals which felt more like obligations I had forced upon myself. And if there's anything in life I do NOT find inspiring, it's more obligations ;) 

So last year, instead of New Year's resolutions, I chose a word. This word would be my Word To Live By: a word that I would be able to apply to many different situations and choices I would face throughout the year, and something to hold on to. When in doubt, I would let this word inspire and guide me.

The word I chose for 2013 was freedom


As a kind of person who over-analyzes everything, I tend to worry a lot and sometimes forget to enjoy things altogether. So freedom is one of the most inspiring words I could think of. Instead of over-thinking things: do. Instead of feeling shame: be proud. Instead of worrying: live in the now. These are all things that symbolize freedom for me, and having a Word of the Year reminded me of that.

So this year I decided to add a word for 2014: adventure. To me, this word is all about trying new things and having fun. 

I hope my Words of the Year will bring me as much inspiration as last year, and I'm curious to find out what 2014 has in store! :)

Photo credits: 1 / 2 / 3

2 comments: